Friday, April 2, 2021

Book review guidelines

 Book review guidelines:

  • 1 star: I actively disliked this book, and would not recommend it under any circumstances.  The writing was poor, the plot was predictable, and this book had nothing new or interesting to say.  It was difficult for me to finish.
  • 2 stars: Better than a 1 star, but still possessing many of the same problems.  Likely had a better or more interesting/engaging perspective, but still hampered by poor writing or plot.  I found the main character to be unengaging or unsympathetic in a way that was distracting (i.e., I did not want to spend more time with them, or more time inside their head).
  • 3 stars: Solid read that kept me (mostly) engaged from start to finish, but nothing to write home about.  Alternatively, this book engaged with subject matter that I am personally interested in (e.g., Tudor history, the Arab-Israeli conflict), and was therefore interesting to me.  However, there were issues with execution, style, or plot.  Could also be a good book that was undermined by a poor ending or a book that drew me on based on gimmick that didn't quite deliver.  If I bought this book, I am probably slightly disappointed I spent money on it.
  • Would I recommend this book to someone else?  If so, this book will be rated at least 4 stars.
  • 4 stars: Very good or engaging read.  Shed some light on an old issue/subject matter/genre, or challenged me/my perspective in a way that encouraged me to learn and grow.  Writing style and turns of phrase are enjoyable.
  • 5 stars: Excellent and enlightening read.  Transporting.  Couldn't stop thinking about it, and wanted to compulsively recommend it.  Changed my perspective on the world around me.  Stellar writing that lifted me out of my world and into the world of the book that I am reading.  I wanted to read more from this author/in this universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment